Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fall bazaar: a bust?


The Fall Bazaar is done. I got up at 6am this morning. Ugh! Can we say I'm not a morning person? Lugged everything in and set it all up. Here I am posing in front of my display. Now that I am looking more closely, I can see the coat rack didn't make it into the photo. It is off to the left, draped in beautiful scarves and bags. Christmas stockings too!

In one respect, you could say the bazaar was a bust. The tables and spacing were nice, but it would be a stretch to say that even 50 people passed through. Very disappointing after a great Bloom Craft Fair last April. I sold enough to pay for my table and that is it. Two customers.

On the other hand, I met a really nice woman at the table next to me. She was selling beautiful ornaments made out of marbles and wire. Of course I couldn't resist and bought 4! Christmas presents obviously:)

I also traded a cute pumpkin hat for a beautiful 8 x 10 of a bird on a branch. I passed out a few business cards and make some connections, one of which was a lady who has a bunch of quilt tops that she has never made into quilts. She seemed very enthusiastic about bringing them to me to quilt. Yay! Good for business:)

And last, but not least, I quilted both of my little wall quilts that I put together the day before. Strangely enough, the men seemed to be the most interested in seeing the machine in action.


The coffee cup is black on white and totally free motion quilted.


When I finished the winter scene, I was thinking that I should have used a darker thread for the sky swirls, but now I see that it shows up nicely. Loving this sky batik from Sewingly Yours. I actually went back to buy another yard. It's hard to find a great snowy sky fabric.


Here's a close up of the tree. I sketched it onto brown fabric and cut it out and topstitched it on. Then I free motion quilted the branches on after I did the sky swirls. You can see the little light dots on the fabric. They look like snow to me, but who am I to say? I grew up in Florida and you know how much snow they get there!

Overall, I'd say that I enjoyed myself and the day was worth it. Probably won't be participating in that particular fair again. But then again, everything is priced and ready for the next craft fair which is coming up at Redeemer Presbyterian on Nov 10th. I don't have to work overtime to make loads more quilts. They are all ready to go. Now I can work on the fun stuff:)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, too bad. Hopefully the next show will be better. I love your little quilts that you got to work on. I really like the quilting you did around the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning work. I love your quilting choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, It's Melissa from Beau Monde. Just stopping by to say I LOVE your work. My favs are the Christmas stockings and the winter scene wall quilt - stunning!

    ReplyDelete