Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Randy and Whitney's wallhanging


This has been a busy month for me. I've got two cousins getting married, one in March and one in April, and 5 cousins' babies due by the end of the summer! So lots of quilts to be made for gifts. Here's the first one. A small wall quilt for a wedding gift.


I used my favorite landscaping book, Accidental Landscapes for this one. I've made a few of these landscapes before, but I haven't made the palm trees yet, so I was dying to try them out. They were a lot of fun to make, but I had made the mistake of laying everything down on the last landscape I did, and I had to keep stopping and starting my quilting to create the smooth lines of the waves.


So this time, I decided to quilt first and tack down the trees after. The trunk was sewn down at the end when I created the flange and borders, but I pinned it out of the way before I starting quilting. Worked like a charm!


The edges are loose, so they fray a bit, giving the trunk a nice realistic look. And the quilt wouldn't be complete without their family boat cruising across the horizon!



I quilted straight lines on the outer border and threw in a fun flower in the corners.

3 comments:

  1. What a nice little gem! They're going to love this. I'm intrigued by the palm trunk as well as the fronds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a neat quilt. my daughter would love it because she love the beach and palm trees.
    The flower in the corner reminds me of a hibiscus flower. Just noticed the little bit of white border too. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Laura!! It is a lovely wedding gift.

    ReplyDelete