Friday, February 14, 2014
Snow days = 3 more finishes
My friend Sarah sent me this quilt all the way from Austria. She lives there now and she asked me if I could repair this quilt that her grandmother made. It was in poor shape and had a lot of large rips that couldn't be easily fixed. I thought about patching it here and there on the top, but as you can see, there is a definite pattern here and it would be difficult to match these vintage fabrics. Shirley suggested putting something on the underside. Brilliant!
(And, by the way, this snow pic is a tribute to Tamarack Shack. She lives in Canada and always takes these amazing snow photos of her quilts. We finally had enough snow for me to have a go at it. Of course, the second it stopped snowing and I brought the quilt outside, nice fat drops of snow were melting off of the trees! I managed to take 2 quick pics, but you can see that the drops show up nicely on the quilt, grrrr!)
I ended up putting muslin under the entire quilt and quilting 4 layers together. That way, any soon to be rips, would still be concealed.
I decided to quilt straight lines, even though some of the seams were uneven. There were a lot of very thin seams that looked like they could split at any time, so in the ditch wasn't really an option. I ended up creating a 1/2" channel around each seam, so even if they do open up a bit, all the blocks will still be firmly sewn in place.
Sarah did understand the fragile state of this quilt, but it holds a great deal of sentimental value to her. Hopefully it will now last many more years to come:)
The next quilt is Della's. She asked for a simple edge to edge design to hold this lap quilt together.
And Pat brought me this adorable little sea life baby quilt. I quilted it with my favorite wavy line pattern, only horizontally this time to give it more of an ocean wave feel
Thanks Sarah, Della and Pat!