Saturday, January 4, 2014

Thread sketch


I got a little project of my own finished over the Christmas break. I had seen this digital print on Pinterest and had been wondering if I could turn it into a quilt. I contacted Elizabeth at Vintage Pentacost on Etsy and asked her if I could try to reproduce her print in fabric. She said sure!

Here is her Etsy site: Vintage Pentacost. Check it out. She has some great designs.


My version ended up a little longer than the original. I free hand sketched the swirls and taped the design to the window so I could trace it onto the white fabric. I made the mistake of trying to use a Sharpie to write 'One God'. Of course I did this after I had traced the entire design with a Frixion pen. Sharpies bleed people. Don't use them on fabric! Grrrr!


My plan had been to have this completed and ready to sell at the Bloom Craft Fair in November, but I wasn't quite there yet. I picked up some fabric markers, which worked great on the text. I also tried to blow up the original print so I could trace the words. They didn't quite line up, so it was back to free handing. First with the Frixion pen, and then with the fabric marker over top.

I know Frixion pens are controversial, but I haven't had any trouble. I stopped using them on customer quilts just in case, but I still prefer them on my own quilts.


I used my black YLI thread to quilt the swirls. I think that may be the last time I use that YLI for quilting. It just feels rough, sheds a lot, and never gets quite the right tension on certain bits on the back. Not my favorite.

I did have a lot of fun quilting the white filler though. Go Magna Glides!

Thanks so much Elizabeth!

5 comments: