Monday, June 17, 2013

More of Betsy's quilts


Here are the last two of Betsy's quilts. She had a bunch of 12 blocks that were mostly the same size. She wanted me to piece them all together. I cut them all the same size and set them in sashing. I was thinking of maybe quilting an overall pattern, but Betsy said she would like the blocks themselves to be emphasize. She didn't want the quilting to take away from the blocks.


So I stitched in the ditch all around the patterns in the blocks and quilted a swirly pattern on the sashing and borders.


This last quilt was the most delicate of the bunch. You can see that the large block in the lower left corner is different. It looks like it might have been cut from a skirt. It is that crinkly sort of fabric that is very stretchy and fluid. The sashing and outer borders are also pieced with this fabric. The other blocks look like they might have been put together with fabric from men's shirts.

 
Again, these were all hand pieced. Amazing! I gave some spray starch a try on the skirt fabric, but it didn't really seem to make a difference. So I just pinned the whole thing really well and quilted a meander across the whole quilt. Then I trimmed it all square and bound it.
 
Thanks so much Betsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment