Monday, February 11, 2013

Mr. P's quilt


My friend Carrie had been working hard on this lap quilt for her husband and she asked me to quilt it for her. It has all sorts of neat 'manly' blocks:) I can't decide which one is my favorite!


Carrie asked for the sashing and borders to be quilted with brown thread in a chevron pattern. I laid it all out on graph paper and sketched it before I marked so that all the corners would align properly. I thought about doing the lines with my free-motion foot, but I chickened out and used my all-purpose foot instead:) I still can't get used to those monstrous walking feet. They drive me crazy! If I'd had a little more confidence, I would have just gone with the free-motion foot and probably been just fine. Really wanted to be sure those lines were nice and crisp though:) I'll stick to experimenting on my own quilts:)


Then I quilted the blocks with off-white thread with a kind of leafy floral pattern Carrie had found in one of her books. The corners looked a little bare once that pattern was quilted, so I echoed around the edges to fill in the space and make it look more in keeping with the rest of the quilting.


It turned out great! Thanks so much Carrie!

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job on my quilt and hopefully I can get the binding finished soon.

    ReplyDelete