Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Nintendo DS game case

So we finally broke down and got a used Nintendo DS for the littlest one. Now they all have one and the games are scattered here and there throughout everyone's individual cases. The hard plastic case we got from Walmart last year has long since been broken and the games do not stay in Rachel's case very well. The solution? Make my own case, one with loads of space for present and future games:)

I looked online and found this tutorial. It gave me a good idea of what I wanted to make, but it wasn't very specific as to sizes. I was thinking more along the lines of the kindle cover design, book like.

I dug into my stash and found some black and white upholstery fabric and some black linen (I'm guessing). The solid black was something I had picked up in the remnants bin at Joann's and wasn't very wide, so I just cut the width I could and guessed at length. It ended up being 10 x 22. Next time I make one, I'm thinking it should be taller, rather than wider. Easier to carry I think. Anyway, I cut the same size piece from the black and white and then fusible fleece for both, minus 1/4" all around the sides. Then I fused the fleece on.

I had bought some large pillow forms from Ross a while ago and still had the plastic bags they came in. I used the plastic for the game sleeves. I could have gone with fabric, but who wants to dig out each game trying to find something in particular? This way, the kids can just grab what they want. It was surprisingly easy to work with too. Didn't have any trouble with my machine and just used a regular sewing foot. I was afraid to poke holes in it with pins, so I just held it in place as I sewed, hence some of the uneven rows.

I cut out 9 x 1 1/2 lengths for the DS games on the right. Turns out I could have added an extra game space if I had gone with 9 1/4 x 1 1/2. You can see where there is extra space on the right. I just started sewing from the left and measuring with a game as I went along. The space between each DS game is 1 1/2". They fit snugly in and won't fall out.

I corrected my mistake on the left side and managed to fit 6 games in a row instead of 5. The bottom row on the left was a little larger (9 1/4 x 2 1/2) to fit the Game Boy Advance games. The spacing between these was 2". I ran out of space for an extra game on the left and decided to sew some narrower gaps for styluses. The kids are always losing those. Better to have some on hand than left in a drawer at home.

Once I had everything sewn onto the black fabric, I cut out a shape for the velcro flap and sewed a piece of velcro onto the white and black fabric.

Then I layered the black fabric, then the velcro tab (velcro side down, facing in) on the right, and the black and white piece, face down (with the velcro face down on the left). I sewed all the layers together, leaving a 5" gap at the bottom for turning. Clipped the corners, turned the whole thing inside out, and top stitched. Voila! Hope they like it:)

1 comment:

  1. pretty nifty. I can see you making those for your next year's bazaar sales.