Thursday, November 8, 2012

Starry Night quilt

After seeing my Winter Scene, my neighbor was thinking the snowy swirls reminded him of Van Gogh's Starry Night.
 
Then he asked if I could make a quilt to look like the painting. He thought his son might like one for Christmas. It was a little daunting, what with all those brushstrokes, but I love a challenge:)

So I have found what I think is a great sky fabric and started cutting out pieces. Here is what I've got so far.


It has some really nice swirls. I've cut out some 'stars' and fused them on. Really, it will be the quilting in yellows and whites that make the difference.


The only problem is the village. Having fussy cut some light blue houses and a church, I put them on the quilt to see how it might look. Unfortunately they stand out too much. There is a lot going on on the ground in this painting. I'm starting to think more in the direction of fabric paint. Has anyone else tried this? If I can paint the dark blue ground as busy as the painting, the village won't stand out as badly. Might actually paint the village as well and then quilt the swirls around it. I'm also thinking a solid black border, maybe 3 inches?

Next stop: Joann fabrics. At least if I can remove myself from quarantine for long enough. It has been two weeks of sick kids and the cupboards are bare. Really looking forward to the Bloom Craft Fair this Saturday at Redeemer Presbyterian from 10-4. Should be a nice day out.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see this one quilted. I think Sew Original sells paint sticks. Never used paint on a quilt before. Good luck and get better. Good luck selling your wares too.Thanks for stopping by to see my finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, I don't thing the village stands out too much. I like it. Maybe if you use the cutouts that you have and paint them a little to take some of the brightness away. I recommend using water soluble pastels. Your draw them on and them paint over with a wet brush to make them like paint. The colour sets with heat. They give a great result. I have a friend who uses them on her quilts all the time. Vicki vickilorraine at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete